About the Program
The Home Modification Loan Program provides low- and no-interest loans to make modifications to the homes of elders, adults with disabilities, and families with children with physical and/or cognitive disabilities. The modifications made must be necessary to allow the beneficiary to remain in the home and must relate to their ability to function on a daily basis. Typical modifications include installation of ramps and lifts, widening of doorways, and alteration of kitchens and bathrooms.
Funding is provided through a state-funded loan program of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission in collaboration with the Community Economic Development Assistance Corporation. PVPC is the direct administrator of this program for all of Berkshire and Franklin County and portions of Hampshire and Hampden County. For a listing of cities and towns served, click here.
Who is Eligible?
Any homeowner who is a frail elder or has a disability, has a household member who has a disability, or rents to an individual with a disability (in a building with fewer than 10 units) may apply for this loan. The residence's owner must apply for the loan. Some landlords may be eligible for a 3% loan for a tenant with a disability.
In determining eligibility:
- Income guidelines are based on the total gross household income.
- The unit requiring modifications must be the primary, principal residence of the individual with the disability.
- The modifications to be made to the residence must be necessary to allow the beneficiary to remain in the home and must specifically relate to their ability to function on a daily basis.
- The homeowner cannot have previously obtained an HMLP loan for the same property.
Income guidelines are based on HUD published median income for the Boston MESA and are updated annually.
|2017 Income Guidelines|
||0% (DPL) Up to 100% of Median Income||0% (Amortized Loan) Up to 125% of Median Income||3% (Amortized Loan) 125-200% of Median Income|
How to Apply:
You can contact PVPC directly for an application to be sent to you or download the application here: Home Modification Loan Program Application. If your home is in Franklin, Berkshire, Hampden*, or Hampshire* County, you can apply for a Home Modification Loan through PVPC. Please contact Shirley Stephens, 413-781-6045. Sstephens@pvpc.org
Completed applications should be sent to:
Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
ATTN: Shirley Stephens
60 Congress St. Floor 1
Springfield, MA 01104
- View our Frequently Asked Questions Brochure
- Need a contractor? Read how to Choose a Qualified Contractor and our Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Contractors and HM
- For Contractor Bid Form please click on link: Home Modification Loan Program Bid Form and Scope of Work (Bid Form)
If you have questions about the application or program, please contact:
Shirley Stephens: Sstephens@pvpc.org 413-781-6045
John O'Leary: firstname.lastname@example.org 413-781-6045
*If your home is in Springfield, Chicopee, Holyoke, Northampton, Agawam, West Springfield, and Westfield, you can apply for a Home Modification loan through HAPHousing, Marta Alvarez, 413-233-1615. email@example.com.