Williamsburg is comprised of the two villages of Williamsburg and Haydenville; it is a community rich in New England tradition. Established in 1775, the local economy was dominated by the success of the Hayden, Gere and Company Brass Works, the nation’s leading producers of plumbing fixtures. Flour, saw and silk mills also flourished, in addition to Mrs. Elnathan Graves’ famous cloth covered button factory. However, in 1874 the most disastrous flood in New England occurred along the Mill River, destroying the Town’s industrial section and killing 88 townspeople.
Today, colonial homes still grace this community and two 1930’s mansions, built by the Hayden family are considered among the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the United States. Most residential development consists of single-family homes, although some rental housing is available. Commercial activity includes manufacturing, a lumber mill and a mini-shopping mall located on Route 9. In addition, each village maintains its own Post Office, fire department and library.
Williamsburg offers many popular attractions for visitors such as the General Store featuring home-made ice-cream, baked goods and crafts; the Angel Park for quiet reflection and solitude to enjoy the country view; and many wonderful restaurants including the Brew Masters Tavern. Visitors may also enjoy touring the Old Town Hall which houses the Historical Society collections and is a visit to our past. Located in the village of Haydenville is the Brassworks building which was originally the Haydenville Mills, the manufacturing site of the first machine made cloth covered buttons. The Brassworks building is now a multi-use complex of retail, office and school space.
News and Articles
|Year||Median 1-Fam Sale Price||Foreclosures|
Employment & Wages
|Year||Labor Force||Unemployment||Average Weekly Wage|