Data Manager and Analyst: Seeking a collaborative professional to serve a primary role in managing, supplying, and analyzing data for ongoing planning initiatives through PVPC’s Regional Information and Policy Center. Candidates must have exceptional computer, research, and communication skills plus be creative, well organized and self-motivated. Experience gathering data from U.S. Census bureau and other public websites is essential. Requires minimum of a BA in relevant discipline with 2 or more years of relevant experience. Master’s Degree preferred. Starting salary $40,000 - $52,000/yr w/benefits, depending upon qualifications and experience.
Please see full job description below or attached. Submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample by target date of Dec 13, 2019 to Molly Goren-Watts, Principal Planner/Manager, Pioneer Valley Planning Commission, 60 Congress Street, Springfield, MA 01040, or by email at email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled or recruitment is cancelled. An AA/EOE.
About the Regional Information & Policy Center
The Regional Information and Policy Center collects and analyzes data for all planning sections of the PVPC, with a greater emphasis in recent years on helping partners use data to collaborate around shared goals and strategies. It is the home to www.pioneervalleydata.org. The Center also provides data and technical assistance to the PVPC’s 43 cities and towns that comprise the planning region and frequently works on client based projects for these municipalities as well as non-profit and private organizations with projects ranging from surveys, economic impact analyses, assistance with census data, and collaborative data sharing initiatives. Many recent projects have been in the areas of economic development, education, sustainable land use, and regional shared service projects.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Data Manager and Analyst will have a primary role in managing and updating regional databases, responding to data requests from PVPC staff, municipal officials, and other external constituents, and assist with supervision of interns when necessary and appropriate. The ideal candidate will have a skill for presenting data in engaging and informative ways as well as the ability to teach others how to do so. They will assist with developing and implementing trainings that help people across sectors improve their abilities to understand and use data in their work.
The person in this position shall also play an integral role in producing a variety of analytical data publications focused on regional economic, housing, transportation, land use, environmental, and demographic trends. These publications will vary in length and formats including one-page profiles, extended multi-chapter reports, and websites. A candidate with appropriate skills may also assist with GIS mapping tasks as necessary and appropriate to support the functions of the PVPC and its clients. The Data Manager and Analyst will also be involved with seeking out new work and funding opportunities on an ongoing basis.
PVPC’s Regional Information & Policy Center has a constantly shifting workload and is frequently branching into new project areas. The Data Manager and Analyst must be capable of addressing many varied needs of the Regional Information and Policy Center as they arise.
- Self-directed and highly motivated team player with a positive attitude.
- Tech savvy with willingness and ability to learn new technologies frequently.
- Strong analytical capabilities and experience with data analysis.
- Extensive experience with all MS Office applications.
- Strong skills in technical writing and the ability to write about data and trends in a clear and concise manner. The ideal candidate will be proficient in research and writing about data.
- Ability to take large amounts of data and synthesize into easy to understand written reports for a broad audience.
- Creativity in presenting information.
- Proficiency managing relational databases with Microsoft Access or similar program is a plus.
- Experience with any of the following is preferred but not required:
Tableau, programming, APIs, MySQL, GIS Mapping (ARC Map 10.x/pro preferred), or Drupal.
- Knowledge and experience gathering data from government and other website sources (census, employment, housing, etc.) is essential.
- Comfort and experience with public speaking, presenting, and running meetings.
- Experience developing, implementing, and analyzing surveys.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, demographics, economics, sociology, planning, computer science, data science, or related field and 2 or more years of relevant experience is required. Master’s Degree in a related field is preferred.
This position shall be supervised by and report directly to the Manager of the Regional Information & Policy Center.
Term and Compensation
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $40,000-$52,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Position offers benefits including health coverage through the Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission (GIC) after 60 day wait period.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample by target date of December 13, 2019 to the attention of:
Regional Information & Policy Center
60 Congress St, Floor 1
Springfield, MA 01104-3419
Position will remain open until filled or recruitment is cancelled PVPC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, marital status, national origin, age, military status, veteran status, handicap, disability, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law in employment or the provision of services. An AA/EOE.